Photo of wild mares at the BLM Burns, Oregon holding facility by Mike Lorden
In January 2016, the BLM released its "Mare Sterilization Research EA," detailing the agencies plans to conduct barbaric experiments on wild mares held at the Burns Corrals in Oregon.
Since that time, AWHPC has mobilized against these experiments, securing veterinary opposition, submitting detailed comments to the BLM and complaints to the Oregon State University Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee and Office of Research Integrity, and producing a video exposing the barbaric nature of the procedures proposed for our federally-protected wild horses.
Below is a timeline and links to key documents.
- January 2016: AWHPC secures release of BLM Expert Veterinary Panel Report, which was withheld from the EA.
- February 2016: AWHPC secures expert veterinary statements from Dr. Robin Kelly and Dr. Pamela Corey on the proposed sterilization experiments.
- February 2016: AWHPC submits detailed public comments on the sterilization research EA.
- February 2016: Nearly 21,000 citizens submit comments opposing the sterilization experiments in response to AWHPC alert.
- March 2015: AWHPC releaess video of proposed sterilization procedure being performed by veterinarian who will conduct the BLM experiments. (Uncut video available here.)
- April 1, 2016: AWHPC submits first in series of animal welfare complaints to Oregon State University (OSU) Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC).
- April 6, 2016: AWHPC submits second complaint to OSU IACUC.
- April 8, 2016: AWHPC submits third complaint to OSU IACUC, including eyewitness declaration from Simone Netherlands.
- April 13, 2016: AWHPC delivers petition signatures/complaint to BLM Wild Horse and Burro Advisory Board
- April 18, 2016: AWHPC submits summary complaint to BLM and OSU IACUC, including public comments of the National Cattleman's Association in opposition to the spay research.
- May 9, 2016: AWHPC submits another complaint to the BLM and OSU IACUC regarding the death of a horse that was previously withheld from BLM.
- July 20, 2016: AWHPC demands public observation of BLM wild horse sterilization experiments.
- August 15, 2016: AWHPC & The Cloud Foundation File First Amendment Lawsuit to secure right to public observation of the experiments.
Photo by Bureau of Land Management